I was reminded yesterday of something that happened to us over Easter weekend. It is something that inspired me to be a better, more generous and giving person. We were flying to Oklahoma and I was sitting with Kaia and the boys were across the isle from me. Steve and Mettea were right behind me. Throughout the flight I noticed Steve talking to a lady that was directly across the isle from him. There were too ladies sitting together there and they were very friendly. I heard Steve talking to her several times during the flight but couldn't hear what they were saying. When we were ready to get off the plane I heard Steve talking to her once more and then I heard the lady say Happy Easter and they got off the plane. We had to wait for our stroller and once they were out of sight I asked Steve what they had been talking about. When I assured him they weren't around he told me that they had been telling him about a trip to Africa they had just gotten back from. It was some humanitarian thing I think. Steve was telling her how we were going to visit his sister. He said she kept telling him what a beautiful family he had and how the kids were so well behaved. She said "I can tell your good parents because of how well your children act." (We sure fooled her!) Right before getting off the plane she told Steve again what a great family he had and handed him something and said "Happy Easter." Steve didn't even look at what it was, he just put it directly into his pocket and thanked her. I was so curious to see what it was! Steve reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded $100 bill. Both of us immediately teared up, so touched by the kindness of this stranger! We hurried off to find her and thank her and make sure she didn't give us that much on accident. She was NO WHERE to be found. She wasn't even at the baggage carousal. We tried to pay it forward. That money paid for all of us there in OK to go to the zoo (thanks in part to the Hawkley military discount) and out for dinner. It was such a nice weekend! Well, I want to be that stranger. I want to be the kind of person who is always looking for someone in need, or doing random acts of kindness to lift someone spirits or inspire them to be more generous, or travel halfway around the world to help total strangers on a different continent!!!

Mettea and I planning our next humanitarian project :) Just thought I'd throw in a pic. I feel like I have to have a picture when I post something.

Our first project was to feed this poor little orphan baby!
10 comments:
That's so nice. Several times people have stopped and talked to us and our kids and stuffed cash in our kids hands. It's nice to think there are still many nice pepole out there when we are constantly bombared by the uglies on the news ;)
That's so cool. THanks for sharing that.
That is so neat. What a nice gesture. And, she is right...you guys are GREAT parents.
Wow....that's awesome! And those pics of you girlies are adorable!
you look tan... and cute shirt kaia...
That is a great story! I'm glad you shared it because it also minds me that I want to be that person too! It is always nice to 'pay it forward'. You and your 'orphan' girl look great! I love your hair!
It is a good thing someone is feeding the orphans! I love your new blog page.
Thats cool! And I love the pictures of your boys.
How wonderful. There are good people out there. I'll have to tell one On Dad. Last night we were walking to catch a colectivo to go to a baptism. We arrived at this street and a man in a wheel chair was unable to get up over the curb. So many people went be and just left him there. The light changed, it was dark and the buses were coming. Dad went to him and asked in Spanish if he could help, Dad turned his wheel chair around and moved him off the street. He was so grateful.
Thamks for sharing, makes ya think =) And she's right--you are great parents!!! Cute pics of your girls 'n' you--all 3 oh so pretty!
Post a Comment