Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also

Forgive my 3am ramblings. For some reason I cannot sleep. It could be because I got riled up at the Braves baseball game tonight and it is taking longer than usual to wind down. For whatever reason, I find myself thinking about my life's biggest treasure, my family. This post is for my own journaling more than anything so don't feel obliged to read on. In fact, I do not recommend it! :) Who knows, I may not even publish it.
Steve was asked to accompany the scouts for one night of scout camp so he was unable to join us as we went to the Brave's game tonight. I was briefly hesitant about venturing to the event without my backup, but I didn't want the kids to miss out so on we went, touting our team pride with our red attire. As we wandered up to our Celestial Kingdom seats I had several people ask the #1 question I get every time I am with my children in public: "Are they all yours?" and it is perpetually followed by "You sure have your hands full!" I'm continually fascinated with the lack of originality in small talk. :) Of course I am just as guilty as any Joe Brave's fan because I always answer the same "I know! But I love it." [Side Note: It just occurred to me that this conversation would NEVER happen in Utah.] Rambling, I told you....anyway, we finally found our seats and after we had been sitting down for an inning, having a great time, there was a tap on my shoulder. The lady behind me asked "did you seriously bring these four kids to a baseball game all by yourself?" Ummm.....how do I answer that one? Yes! I smiled. Another inning and then another tap on the shoulder. "You are Mormon aren't you. Only a Mormon mom would dare bring four kids to a baseball game!" I laughed and told her I was. I could tell she was proud that she had figured us out! But then it wasn't so difficult for her, because she was Mormon too. We talked here and there throughout the game and she was awesome. Her family was awesome too, and the game was awesome as well! (rambling) I know that there are other people besides Mormon's who have a strong sense of family, but I was very proud of mine in that moment, up in our space station seats at the Atlanta Brave's baseball game. I had all the people sitting around me turn to me and tell me my children were wonderful and so well behaved and had such good manners. Yes, this happened at a baseball game. Funny.
I had been thinking all week about how lucky I am to have the family I grew up in, the family I married into and the family Steve and I have created together. Along with the gospel of Jesus Christ, this is my greatest treasure. Perfect? Far from it, but perfection is boring right? ( I guess I will never know) Our parents are our greatest examples and one of our greatest blessings. My parents just put in their mission papers and will probably be leaving around December. I have a great admiration for my parents and I am proud of them and exited for them.. Steve's parents recently finished their mission and his Dad will soon be ordained to be the Patriarch in their Stake which is a testament to their meritorious and humble nature. Could I be luckier? Yes! Our siblings and their families are our greatest friends and good friends to our kids also. My heart is full. That's all. Wait...thank you Brave's for winning the game.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

haha! I LOVED this post Kelli! (and you thought we wouldn't like your ramblings) I think the ramblings of personal thoughts make for the most meaningful posts. Sometimes you just got to share how you feel. I love it when LDS people recognize each other in the middle of a crowd. What a cool experience. And YES, your kids are awesome!

ajensen said...

I loved reading this. You are wonderful and so is your family...and I include your siblings and parents too. I cant believe they turned in mission papers...I had no idea. that is SO wonderful! i cant wait to hear what they are going to be doing.

Love you Kel! see you in Utah!

Breann said...

I continued reading it and loved it! Except....it should've said Go Dodgers in there somewhere. :)

Eve said...

you're so inspiring Kelli!

Tanner Fam said...

....oh, your done?
Ok, let me wake up...
Loved this post...I love to ramble in the middle of the night..probably because it's peaceful and quiet and I'm left alone with my thoughts.

JAMALAND said...

THANKS Kelli, you are a sweetheart, and a treasure as well! Love, MOM